Can I let you in on a little secret? I have an obsession with street food and food trucks. I’ve even bought a foodtruck oil painting on etsy (see bottom) and hope someone gets me this from intheseam for a Chrissy gift below.
So what better inspiration for this month’s Recipe Redux – the first recipe challenge by registered dietitians – than just that. This month’s theme is “fresh from the pumpkin patch” and unlike my North American colleagues, us Aussies eat pumpkin as a common vegetable all year round. It’s very hard to buy canned pumpkin here and we rarely use them in a pie or dessert.
Food truck redux
Redux means to revisit or reinvent and I love the movement behind fresh, quality food coming out of the back (or side) of a truck. Curbside cuisine is not your greasy, game day fare. But real food cooked on the spot with real care. The only way you’ll know where a food truck will pop up, is by following on facebook or twitter.
I certainly had my fill in NYC last year including a treat from SweeteryNYC (previously Street Sweets). And HOW fitting that this video below will take you there, right inside the truck baking a Pumpkin Loaf Recipe. And we are lucky in Melbourne to now have the likes of Taco Truck Melbourne and Beatbox Kitchen motoring around town.
But it’s the philosophy behind San Diego Miho Gastrotruck, with their “farm to street” approach that really gets my motor running. Who wouldn’t want their Equinox Salad for lunch – local spinach, braised local fennel, oven roasted local tomato, shaved manchego, pepita, herb vinaigrette? Thanks for the photo guys and bringing fresh food to the hood.
Recipe Redux Chermoula Chickpea and Pumpkin Sliders
So what makes great street food? Something you can eat in your hands like a mini burger or slider with an explosion of zingy ingredients.
We used North African spice mix, chermoula, plus coriander (cilantro) and saffron hand delivered from Morocco by my dietitian friend Karen Inge. And in keeping with the theme, Besan or chickpea flour which is gluten-free.
The full recipe sheet you can download and print here: Chermoula Chickpea and Pumpkin Sliders.
And there you have it. Just perfect for a cocktail party or a drive around town?
Check out the Recipe Redux Roundup for this month:
- Cherie Schetselaar – Grain Crazy – Fresh Pumpkin Risotto
- Alexandra Caspero- Delicious Knowledge – Pumpkin Enchiladas
- Katie Hamm – Healthy & Happy Hour – Pumpkin-Bacon Ravioli
- Alysa Bajenaru – Inspired RD – Sweet & Spicy Pumpkin Fries
- Everyday Tastiness – Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Dr Barb, Nutriton Budgeteer – Pumpkin Chili Chicken Pizza
- Elizabeth Jarrard- Don’t (White) Sugar Coat It – Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- Kristen Bourque- Swanky Dietitian – baked pumpkin oatmeal
- Marie Spano – Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins
- Regan @ The Professional Palate – Pumpkin Ravioli in a Walnut-Sage Cider Sauce
- Danielle Omar – Food Confidence RD – Pumpkin Goulash
- Emma @ The Hearty Heart – (Vegan) Cocoa Pumpkin (Whiskey) Mousse
- gretchen – kumquat – baked mini pumpkins
- Emma Stirling – The Scoop on Nutrition – Recipe Redux Chermoula Chickpea & Pumpkin Sliders
- Janel Funk: Eat Well with Janel – Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Nicole @ Whole Health RD – Kaddo Bourani – Candied Pumpkin with Yogurt and Meat Sauce
- Yuri – Chef Pandita – Pumpkin Apple Soup
- Lisa @ Healthful Sense – Pumpkin Cream Pie Filling & Pudding
- Jessica Fishman Levinson – Nutritioulicious – Recipe Redux: Pumpkin Pancakes
- Jane Schwartz, RD -
- Kat Lynch – Eating The Week – Pumpkin yogurt dip for waffle sticks
- Katie Caputo- East Meats West – Pumpkin Stuffing
- Serena @ Teaspoon of Spice – Whole Pumpkin Cheddar Gratin
- Kristina @ Love and Zest – Pumpkin Mash
- Carrie Miller – Nutrition Know How – Baked Stuffed Pumpkin & Pumpkin Orange Muffins
- Ann Dunaway Teh – Eat to Nourish, Energize & Flourish – Pumpkin, Squash and Apple Soup
- Kara Lydon – Peace, Love, and Food – Pumpkin Yogurt Dip
- Stephanie Howard – Give Them Something Better – Fall Harvest Chili
- Karman Meyer-Nutrition Adventures – Pumpkin-Potato Breakfast Hash
- Ayla Withee- Eat Simply – Salt and Vinegar Pumpkin Seeds
- Heather Calcote – Dietitian on the Run – Pumpkin Rosemary & Mushroom Quinoa
- Jill Melton-The Relish Dish – Ham and Cheese Stuffed Pumpkin
- EA-The Spicy RD – Pumpkin Pesto Bruschetta
- Liz Weiss & Janice Newell Bissex – Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen – Ghoulishly Good Stuffed Sugar Pumpkin
- Diane Welland – Eat Well, Eat Clean – Pumpkin Cranberry Scones
Recipe redux giveaway
Bali is one of those places to get amazing street food and the hot new cookbook, Bali: The Food of My Island Home, by Janet De Neef of Casa Luna fame, will take you there. If you’re ever in Bali, you must do a cooking class at Casa Luna. I still cherish the memories from nearly 15 years ago. We have one copy to giveaway to a lucky Aussie reader. Entries open until 5pm Aussie EDST Friday 28 October and a random winner will be selected. So for your chance to win drop us a comment below. We’d love to hear your street food stories? Or just say hi so we know you’ve been with us.